Property Business Manager – Diocese of Winchester
Posted on: 2021-03-17
Diocese of Winchester
Property Business Manager
The Church of England Diocese of Winchester stretches from the beaches of Bournemouth to the edges of Surrey suburbia, and from the River Hamble to the outskirts of Newbury, the area covers 1048 square miles with a population of 1.27m. Whilst much of the diocese is rural there are significant urban concentrations in Southampton, Eastleigh, Bournemouth, Christchurch, Andover and Basingstoke.
1. To review all diocesan property holdings including Parsonages, DBF Corporate Property, Glebe, Parochial Property, and Schools, preparing a rolling 5-year strategy to maximise income and capital receipts in line with relevant secular and ecclesiastical legislation.
2. To identify potential sites for development, possible sale, surplus or costly stock, and opportunities for increased income.
3. To consider issues of environmental sustainability, helping the organisation to reach Carbon Net zero by 2030.
4. To prepare detailed reports assessing the feasibility and outlining options for potential development sites, working with external partners as required.
5. To provide detailed project management for major property development projects, working closely with contractors, planners, stakeholders and specialists as required.
6. To ensure all property for which the Diocese is responsible is properly registered with the Land Registry.
7. Working closely with the Property Development Officer, to ensure timely, professional advice and support is provided to PCCs in the management, sale or development of any property they own.
8. To manage all house, land and site purchases and sales, liaising with agents and solicitors as necessary.
Qualifications/experience necessary or preferred
Education and Qualifications
• Graduate or equivalent level of education in a relevant field;
• A qualified Chartered Surveyor (MRICS) desirable or confirmation of working towards a relevant qualification
Background and Experience
• Detailed knowledge and understanding of property legislation and planning and development processes including feasibility appraisal techniques.
• Experienced negotiator with a track record of property acquisitions, sales and management.
• Experience of managing and developing both operational and investment portfolios.
• Experience of managing people and delivering through a team.
• Experience or understanding of managing projects.
Skills and Personal Competencies
• A demonstrable team player with a collaborative and open working style. Able to work under pressure, flexible in attitude, highly organised and able to work to deadlines.
• Ability to prioritise and delegate work under pressure.
• Flexible in working relationships, comfortable with some ambiguity and able to see projects and tasks to completion.
• Able to relate well at all levels, a strong communicator, able to build positive professional relationships. When necessary, able to give disappointing news clearly.
• Entrepreneurial skills and positive, can do approach.
• Intermediate level of proficiency with various software programmes, including but not limited to Microsoft Office.
• Confidential and able to handle sensitive information.
• Current driving license and access to a vehicle.
• An understanding of and a commitment in principal to the Church’s ministry and mission is essential.
Application form available from firstname.lastname@example.org